News

Seven hurt in Halloween shootings

By Edwin Folven, 11/08/2012

PinterestShare

Three people were shot on Hollywood Boulevard at approximately 10 p.m. on Oct. 31 as thousands of revelers crowded the thoroughfare during Halloween.

LAPD spokeswoman officer Wendy Reyes said the gunfire erupted near Hollywood Boulevard and Whitley Avenue. The most seriously injured victim, a 17-year-old male, was struck in the chest and taken to Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in critical condition. A 25-year-old man was shot in the leg and was taken to the hospital in stable condition, while a 14-year-old boy was struck in the foot. None of the victims were identified, and it was unknown whether the victims knew each other or were together when the shooting occurred. No updates in the case had been issued as of Wednesday, according to LAPD spokesman Richard French.

Reyes said the shooting is believed to be gang-related, but the incident remains under investigation. Police are continuing the search for four suspects who fled the scene before officers arrived. They were only described as being three men and a woman.

Reyes said additional officers — including the LAPD’s mounted patrol — had been deployed to Hollywood in anticipation of the large crowds that flock to the area on Halloween, despite there not being any official event in the area. Officers closed Hollywood Boulevard between Highland Avenue and Vine Street between 10 p.m. and midnight while they searched for suspects. Anyone with information is asked to contact the LAPD’s Hollywood Division at (213)972-2971.

Four people were also shot, with one critically injured, on the USC campus at approximately 11:45 p.m. on Oct. 31. The critically injured victim was identified as former Crenshaw High School football player Geno Hall. He was shot in the torso and is reportedly recovering. The three other victims sustained “non-life threatening injuries,” according to Reyes.

Brandon Spencer, 20, of Inglewood, was arrested the following day and charged for the shooting. He pleaded not guilty Monday to four counts of attempted murder, with the special allegation that the crime was gang-related. He faces life in prison if convicted on all counts, according to Deputy District Attorney Antonella Nistorescu, of the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office’s Hardcore Gang Division.

 

 

PinterestShare

Leave a Reply



Media Partners:
Glendale News  |  Burbank Leader  |  La Canada Valley Sun  |  Daily Pilot  |  Huntington Beach Independent  |  Coastline Pilot

Home | Archives | Advertise | Distribution | Subscriptions | Travel Stories | About | Contact | Download this Weeks Issue